Thursday, 18 July 2013

Whim 3: Open Wide Zippered Pouch

This morning i found this lovely multi-coloured material in the market (which I got for a bargain price due to a it having a slight tear in one of the selvedges) and of course wanted to use it immediately! At the market I also found this chunky zipper for 50p, so decided to combine the two.
As the zip was so big I couldn't trim it down to fit my standard pouch, so thought i'd try this this tutorial by noodlehead as you can use a longer zip and a pull tab (a cute extra touch).  As well as the fabric from the market I also used some denim from an old pair of jeans on the bottom of the exterior, and a green cotton fabric salvaged from an old shirt for the lining. Altogether an incredibly cheap make!

The tutorial turned out to be brilliant, very easy to follow with super clear pictures and each stage explained in detail!
I'm very pleased with the result, especially because I normally have a dilemma about whether to topstitch the top edge or not (as I haven't found a reliable enough method that doesn't mess up the corners of the zip) but here it is simple to topstich after everything is already sewn together which has eliminated that problem. I also love the lovely pull tab on the end of the zipper.  - Will definitely make again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment