Saturday, 26 October 2013

Whim 13: Shirt!



This is a project I have been meaning to try ever since I watched the shirt challenge on the Great British Sewing Bee last year, and has been spurred on by finding a fantastically detailed book on shirtmaking in a charity shop a few months ago.


I eventually want to make my own pattern and unique and unusual design (as yet undecided) but as I didn't really understand how all of the cuffs and collars worked I thought it best to make one up from a commercial pattern first.



I decided on this Simplicity pattern because it seemed to use the traditional shirt parts that some more simple patterns lacked, and after completing it I am pleased that it has certainly primed me in most of the techniques I will need to make my own shirt design.
I used the gingham because it was very cheap (£3.00 a metre -I love Leicester market!) and I wasn't convinced that the size would be right (according to the size guide my bust fits the size 18  whilst my back is size 10 and hips 12 -after a lot of deliberation I followed the size 14 pattern and it actually fits pretty well!).Perhaps now I know it fits I'll make another out of a more exciting fabric.  

No comments:

Post a Comment